The SWC Deer Donation Program has delivered enough nutritious ground venison to provide more than 50,000 meals to families in need through community-based food programs in Wake, Harnett, and Lee counties! This year is already exceeding expectations significantly in terms of deer donations from local hunters, which means more food for more families. As a result, we anticipate needing up to $2,000 more to cover this year’s meat processing fees. The program is all-volunteer staffed, and funding is used only to pay for professional meat processing and out-of-pocket site expenses.
To help feed as many families in need as possible, you can make a direct tax-deductible contribution via PayPal, credit card, or simply send a check via the SWC Donate Page (select “Deer Donation Program”).
How the Harvested Deer Make it to Families in Need
Key Project Impacts
1 in 5 North Carolinians (1 in 4 children) don’t know where their next meal is coming from. Venison offers a natural, renewable high-quality protein source to those who need it most.ncfoodbanks.org
- Nearly 100% of every deer donated is used:
- Meat to feed local families in need
- Skins for rehabilitation kits serving brain-injured military veterans
- Deer are also used to train medical students – an initiative that has reportedly saved several local human lives already; and
- Remains are recycled and repurposed to make green building materials and other products!
- With more than 1 million deer now in NC, having too many deer in an area impacts everyone:
- $$ Millions lost in deer: vehicle collisions in NC
- $$ Millions lost by farmers & property owners in NC due to deer browsing
- North Carolina’s native wildlife & wild places are placed at risk when deer densities get too high.
- The SWC Harnett Area Deer Donation Site also serves as an NC Wildlife Resources Commission Deer Cooperator, collecting data and biological samples for wildlife research
Contributions of any amount will make a difference, and every dollar is appreciated! Thank you!